Priorities

Posted: September 28, 2007 in Daily Blog

Fridays are special days for my wife and I. When I started my career in church work I choose Fridays as my days off. Since Sundays are a work day in my profession you usually get another day during the week off. So Fridays are a fun day for my wife and I. We usually go to a movie, or out to lunch, but we spend time together and it has had a very positive impact on our relationship.

I attend a leadership development meeting once a month with a group of really cool guys that encourage one another and help each other with issues we are facing in the organizations we lead, and currently we are reading John Maxwell’s “Developing the Leader Within You.” I like John Maxwell, he makes the complexities of leadership simple. The thing that sticks out to me today is the “Pareto Principle” an idea also referred to as the 20/80 principle. This principle states that, “20 percent of your priorities will give you 80 percent of your production IF you spend your time, energy, money, and personnel on the top 20 percent of your priorities.” For example; 20% of your time produces 80% of the results, 20% of products bring in 80% of the profit, 20% of our work gives us 80% of our satisfaction, 20% of the book contains 80% of the information! You can see when we look at the 20% it can have a dramatic impact on the other 80%!

How does this relate to our lives? Take a look at your priorities and invest heavily in the 20% that makes the difference! We often get caught up in all the things that seem so important and it crowds out the things that will really make a difference! Stop doing the things that aren’t absolutely necessary, and do the things that bring results. The time you spend with significant people in your lives has a huge impact on the satisfaction you will feel in life, in relationship and in love. We often neglect the people closest to us because there is so much to get done, but in fact if we nurture the right priorities it will transform ourselves and those around us! Are you spending time on the right priorities? Take a look at your weekly schedule, then put the important things first, spend as much time on them as possible, and watch how the Pareto Principle works in your life!

I have to go, I get to spend time with my top priority now!

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Emily AD Crouse says:

    Graham, I really enjoy reading your blog! I think it is fantastic and does make me feel more connected to you- since we talk on the phone much. I am so glad that you are enjoying your friday – I have the day off too and it is sunny and beautiful in New york state.
    Hope, love & faith, your cousin

  2. Laura says:

    Hey dude! Leah told me that you had this blog and poof if you type “Graham Prouty” into Google you pop right up to the top of the list. I am so glad that your name is not Dave Smith.

    Good thoughts, I miss hearing you talk and if I read the blog and stare that that little web cam picture you took it is just like you are here — staring at me!

    Funny how that 80/20 rule applies to our stuff, our time and to volunteers as well!

    I will drop back by and visit again — can’t wait to see how your newest building project progresses! (we are expecting occupancy on Oct 25, they say)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s